The town of Bagabag was founded on October 7, 1741, by Padre Antonio del Campo, a Spanish friar at sitio "Nagcumventuan", a place now located between Pogonsino, Bagabag and Bangar, Solano. The present name of the sitio bears proof to the fact that the Spanish priest constructed a church in the original town site. The first priests were Padre Luis Sierra who came in 1743, and Padre Alejandro Vidal, who was the Vicar Provincial. They organized the town in 1754. Due to the continuous erosion and flooding caused by the Magat River and for its increasing population and growth, Padre Vidal transferred the town site to "Nassa" (a place between Barangays Lantap and Santa Lucia) then transferred again to its present site where numerous buri palms were then growing. It was from this buri palm plant the name of Bagabag originated, the same being called by the natives as "bagbag". No account could be given on the date the present town of Bagabag was founded as the records were destroyed during World War II.